PRN Optician- Lawton, OK
ABOUT THE JOB
An optician helps customers with fitting glasses or contact lenses, after obtaining prescriptions from our optometrists. Also known as a dispensing optician, the optician advises customers on the styles and characteristics of eyewear to best suit their needs.
The job duties include but are not limited to dispensing and ordering glasses, fitting and measuring lenses, managing relationships with industry representatives, and more.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interpretation of prescriptions written by optometrists
- Educate patients on their corrective lens options and help them make a choice that fits their medical needs as well as lifestyle preferences
- Collection of eye measurements including pupillary distance, segment heights, etc.
- Adjusting eyeglasses to ensure a proper fit
- Repairing broken frames
- Educating client employees on proper eyeglass and contact lens care
- Keeping track of orders, prescriptions, and inventory
- Manage relationships with vendors
- A sense of fashion and an eye for detail
- Schedule appointments and interpret an electronic health record
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree preferred plus a minimum of 2 years’ experience dispensing corrective lenses or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certified as Dispensing Optician required. American Board of Opticianry (ABO) and National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certification preferred. Experience with both contact lenses and glasses. Ability to operate lensometer and other equipment.
- Excellent customer service skills required
- Proficiency with interpersonal and interprofessional communication
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Time management abilities
- Ability to stay calm and upbeat in a fast-paced environment
- Compassionate/patient demeanor
- Ability to maintain tact and diplomacy in a stressful environment
- A willingness to learn and adapt
Pay Range: $18.00-$22.00/hr
The actual offer may vary dependent upon geographic location and the candidate’s years of experience and/or skill level.