Engineering Director - Bioinformatics
GeneDx, the world’s leading exome and genome diagnostics company, is seeking an established leader to direct our bioinformatics technology teams responsible developing and operating our production bioinformatics platform, algorithms, and tools for dry lab operations.
In this role, you will work closely with our bioinformatics product team to coordinate the development of internal software products that facilitates clinical accuracy, operational efficiency, and commercial scale. This is a leadership position that will own the strategic technical roadmap for this critical function of our business, and accordingly, you will work with leaders in our wider Product, Operations, Commercial, and Research organizations. In addition to owning the strategic technical roadmap, you will support multiple teams to succeed tactically by guiding the balance of staffing, implementation of best practices, and development of our team members.
The teams you lead will develop robust, performant, and cost-effective bioinformatics processing tools that reflect best practices of modern software development. A dedicated bioinformatics algorithms team will ensure we leverage state-of-the-art approaches to bioinformatics algorithms and collaborate with our Research organization to bring emergent technologies into production. Your teams will also own the development and maintenance of tools that allow clear observability of the bioinformatics process and give clear guidance to lab operations teams for improving sample quality and processing efficiency.
You will ensure your teams have clearly defined objectives and are enabled to formulate tractable plans for execution. Your leadership will serve your team with guidance and support, rather than by dictating a plan. You will anticipate and support the team through challenges in their execution. You will collaborate with your teammates in other roles to identify the features that create the best outcomes. You will help to refine our operational models to accelerate the development of robust and modular software that can adapt quickly to the future needs of our customers.
Experience, Traits, and Skills
- Ability to translate executive strategy into objectives relevant to your teams
- Experience defining objectives, metrics, and data-driven product development
- Demonstrated experience leading teams tactically though support and enablement
- Demonstrated success with an industry leading company in production bioinformatics
- Expert depth of knowledge in bioinformatics process and algorithms, ML knowledge is a plus
- Expert understanding of software engineering patterns, practices, and methods
- Able to anticipate and correct issues with technical proposals before they arise
- Strong coaching and communication skills for developing leaders in the organization
- Develop and organization and implement an operating model to improve developmental efficiency
- Ensure teams have clear strategic objectives to pursue
- Ensure teams have quality technical implementation plans
- Translate executive strategic vision into clear functional objectives for your team
- Leverage your communication and technical expertise to work with our Commercial, Operations, Product, and Research owners to create a product with the best possible value and outcomes for our customers
- Ensure accountability and communication of progress within and between teams
- Ensure high performance in our team by guiding effective tactics and operational models
- Operational scale and stability of our bioinformatics platform
- Cost efficiency in bioinformatics operations enabled by our software
- Efficiency and expertise in our bioinformatics software teams
Science - Minded, Patient - Focused.
At GeneDx, we create, follow, and are informed by cutting-edge science. With over 20 years of expertise in diagnosing rare disorders and diseases, and pioneering work in the identification of new disease-causing genes, our commitment to genetic disease detection, discovery, and diagnosis is based on sound science and is focused on enhancing patient care.
Experts in what matters most.
With hundreds of genetic counselors, MD/PhD scientists, and clinical and molecular genomics specialists on staff, we are the industry’s genetic testing experts and proud of it. We share the same goal as healthcare providers, patients, and families: to provide clear, accurate, and meaningful answers we all can trust.
SEQUENCING HAS THE POWER TO SOLVE DIAGNOSTIC CHALLENGES.
From sequencing to reporting and beyond, our technical and clinical experts are providing guidance every step of the way:
- High-quality testing: Our laboratory is CLIA certified and CAP accredited and most of our tests are also New York State approved.
- Advanced detection: By interrogating genes for complex variants, we can identify the underlying causes of conditions that may otherwise be missed.
- Thorough analysis: We classify variants according to our custom adaptation of the most recent guidelines. We then leverage our rich internal database for additional interpretation evidence.
- Customized care: Our experts review all test results and write reports in a clear, concise, and personalized way. We also include information for research studies in specific clinical situations.
- Impactful discovery: Our researchers continue working to find answers even after testing is complete. Through both internal research efforts and global collaborations, we have identified and published hundreds of new disease-gene relationships and developed novel tools for genomic data analysis. These efforts ultimately deliver more diagnostic findings to individuals.
Learn more About Us here.
Essential on-site and customer facing employees may be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccinations. Medical or religious exemptions considered.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurance
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Discounts
- Voluntary benefits
GeneDx is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Something looks off?