Senior Data Engineer
GeneDx is a patient-centered technology company seeking an experienced data engineer for our Data Platform team.
As a Sr. Data Engineer at GeneDx, you will use skills and knowledge to design and implement effective solutions for storing, processing, and analyzing data at scale. This might include tasks such as creating and maintaining data pipelines, building data lakes, and developing algorithms and models to extract insights from data to support both internal and external audiences at GeneDx. You will help resolve software issues, improve the functionality of existing software, and ensure that the design, application, and maintenance of software meets the quality standards of the company.
In this role, you will collaborate with engineers, data scientists and product managers to design and build systems to process data efficiently. As a Sr. Data Engineer, you would be expected to have a strong understanding of programming languages, such as Python, Scala, and SQL, as well as experience with big data technologies, such as Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark. You will also be expected to have a good understanding of data modeling and data processing at scale. In addition to these technical skills, a data engineer should also have strong problem-solving skills, effective communication and collaboration abilities, and an understanding of business and industry concepts.
Experience, Traits, and Skills
· Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field.
· 7+ years of experience in data engineering, including designing, building, and maintaining data pipelines and infrastructure.
· Proficient in programming languages, such as Python, Java, or Scala.
· Strong working knowledge of data warehousing concepts, ETL processes, and big data technologies.
· Experience with data streaming technologies, such as Kafka or Kinesis.
· Experience with cloud-based platforms and services, such as AWS, GCP, or Azure (AWS preferred).
· Familiarity with data pipeline orchestration tools, such as Apache Airflow, Dagster, or Nifi.
· Hands-on experience with big data processing frameworks, such as Apache Spark, Hadoop, or Flink.
· Knowledge of relational and non-relational databases, such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, or Cassandra.
· A strong product mindset to understand business needs and develop scalable engineering solutions.
· Experience leading projects and mentoring junior data engineers.
· Design and build a highly scalable data platform to process data at scale, ensuring optimal performance and data quality.
· Ensuring consistent and efficient storage and retrieval of clinical and genomic data for all patients using a shared representation.
· Minimizing data acquisition costs through automation and by creating a declarative platform for ease of onboarding new data sources.
· Implement data security, privacy, and compliance measures to protect sensitive information.
· Creating and maintaining technical documentation to ensure clarity and ease of use for data pipelines and infrastructure.
· Monitoring data pipeline performance, troubleshooting issues, and proactively addressing potential bottlenecks.
· Developing and implementing best practices for data engineering, including coding standards, testing and version control.
· Evaluate and recommend modern technologies, tools, and frameworks to improve data engineering processes and capabilities.
· Collaborating with product owners, data scientists, analysts, and business stakeholders to understand data requirements and develop data solutions.
· Mentor and guide junior data engineers, promoting a culture of learning and continuous improvement.
· Design and build a cost effective, scalable, and highly performant data platform to process and store large-scale data to support product and analytics.
· Manage and maintain production data platform, ensure data quality, high performance, stability, and system reliability.
· Unlock internal and customers with transformative data products and advanced analytics driven by the integration of clinical and genomic data.
Science - Minded, Patient - Focused.
At GeneDx, we create, follow, and are informed by cutting-edge science. With over 20 years of expertise in diagnosing rare disorders and diseases, and pioneering work in the identification of new disease-causing genes, our commitment to genetic disease detection, discovery, and diagnosis is based on sound science and is focused on enhancing patient care.
Experts in what matters most.
With hundreds of genetic counselors, MD/PhD scientists, and clinical and molecular genomics specialists on staff, we are the industry’s genetic testing experts and proud of it. We share the same goal as healthcare providers, patients, and families: to provide clear, accurate, and meaningful answers we all can trust.
SEQUENCING HAS THE POWER TO SOLVE DIAGNOSTIC CHALLENGES.
From sequencing to reporting and beyond, our technical and clinical experts are providing guidance every step of the way:
- High-quality testing: Our laboratory is CLIA certified and CAP accredited and most of our tests are also New York State approved.
- Advanced detection: By interrogating genes for complex variants, we can identify the underlying causes of conditions that may otherwise be missed.
- Thorough analysis: We classify variants according to our custom adaptation of the most recent guidelines. We then leverage our rich internal database for additional interpretation evidence.
- Customized care: Our experts review all test results and write reports in a clear, concise, and personalized way. We also include information for research studies in specific clinical situations.
- Impactful discovery: Our researchers continue working to find answers even after testing is complete. Through both internal research efforts and global collaborations, we have identified and published hundreds of new disease-gene relationships and developed novel tools for genomic data analysis. These efforts ultimately deliver more diagnostic findings to individuals.
Learn more About Us here.
Essential on-site and customer facing employees may be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccinations. Medical or religious exemptions considered.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurance
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Discounts
- Voluntary benefits
GeneDx is an Equal Opportunity Employer.