Senior Software Engineer, Knowledge Tools Engineer
GeneDx, the world's leading genomics diagnostics company, is seeking a senior software engineer for our Knowledge Tools Engineering team.
As a technical lead, you will coordinate and support the technical work of other engineers on our Knowledge Tools Engineering team . While you are not responsible for people management, you will work with other engineers, product leads, and stakeholders to guide technical strategy of our team and platform. You will be directly supported by the Knowledge Tools Engineering Lead.
As a senior contributor, you will form partnerships with your colleagues from product to create clear implementation plans and understand complex business requirements. You will collaborate across software engineering specialties to execute on the creation and enhancement of our workflow orchestration and variant annotation pipeline. You will also mentor junior colleagues across the engineering team in their craft of software engineering. You will also work closely with Engineering Operations to develop capable CD processes to manage the deployment of our systems.
Experience, Traits, and Skills
- 7+ years of demonstrated proficiency creating and supporting software systems
- Expertise with Python, GraphQL, FastAPI, and Django
- Experience with Azure and/or AWS services
- Comfortable using Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, GitHub Actions, and/or Argo CD
- Experience mentoring colleagues in software engineering concepts and practices
- Experience with road mapping or planning across different software engineering specialties
- Strong communication skills and ability to translate complex requirements from across both technical and non-technical groups
- S. in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or related field is a plus
- Plan with cross functional teams spanning across software engineering specialties.
- Guide technical efforts to establish our declarative workflow engine and scale our variant annotation data pipeline.
- Make significant contributions to our team’s technical roadmap to serve the broader engineering platform.
- Advise and mentor colleagues to ensure the team is following best software engineering practices.
- Partner with stakeholders and the product team to propose technical solutions to business requirements.
- Participate in production support activities to ensure we meet our SLOs and commitments defined in our SLA.
- Implement and enhance a scalable, declarative workflow engine that drives our variant annotation and classification.
- Expand and improve the performance of our knowledgebase GraphQL and REST APIs to facilitate a reliable, cohesive ecosystem for our platform and component team.
- Support the establishment of a software engineering team that adopts best practices and methodologies.
Science - Minded, Patient - Focused.
At GeneDx, we create, follow, and are informed by cutting-edge science. With over 20 years of expertise in diagnosing rare disorders and diseases, and pioneering work in the identification of new disease-causing genes, our commitment to genetic disease detection, discovery, and diagnosis is based on sound science and is focused on enhancing patient care.
Experts in what matters most.
With hundreds of genetic counselors, MD/PhD scientists, and clinical and molecular genomics specialists on staff, we are the industry’s genetic testing experts and proud of it. We share the same goal as healthcare providers, patients, and families: to provide clear, accurate, and meaningful answers we all can trust.
SEQUENCING HAS THE POWER TO SOLVE DIAGNOSTIC CHALLENGES.
From sequencing to reporting and beyond, our technical and clinical experts are providing guidance every step of the way:
- High-quality testing: Our laboratory is CLIA certified and CAP accredited and most of our tests are also New York State approved.
- Advanced detection: By interrogating genes for complex variants, we can identify the underlying causes of conditions that may otherwise be missed.
- Thorough analysis: We classify variants according to our custom adaptation of the most recent guidelines. We then leverage our rich internal database for additional interpretation evidence.
- Customized care: Our experts review all test results and write reports in a clear, concise, and personalized way. We also include information for research studies in specific clinical situations.
- Impactful discovery: Our researchers continue working to find answers even after testing is complete. Through both internal research efforts and global collaborations, we have identified and published hundreds of new disease-gene relationships and developed novel tools for genomic data analysis. These efforts ultimately deliver more diagnostic findings to individuals.
Learn more About Us here.
Essential on-site and customer facing employees may be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccinations. Medical or religious exemptions considered.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurance
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Discounts
- Voluntary benefits
GeneDx is an Equal Opportunity Employer.