Head of Billing
Location: Remote US
GeneDx is a patient-centric health information company that delivers personalized and actionable health insights that inform diagnosis, guide treatment and improve drug discovery. The company is transforming healthcare through its industry-leading exome and genome testing and interpretation, fueled by one of the world’s largest, rare disease data sets. GeneDx is uniquely positioned to accelerate the use of genomic and large-scale clinical information to enable precision medicine as the standard of care.
As the Head of Billing, you will play a crucial role in optimizing GeneDx’s revenue cycle management. We are looking for a candidate to ensure accurate and efficient billing processes, manage revenue cycles, optimizing financial performance and improve the overall customer experience. We are looking for a candidate to provide strategy and tactical excellence to take our billing team to the next level. This position is part of the senior leadership team reporting directly into executive management.
- Implement strategies to minimize claim denials, rejections, and delays in payment.
- Monitor billing performance metrics, analyze trends, and identify areas for improvement. Track corrective actions.
- Manage the overall roadmap, planning, and execution for Revenue Cycle optimization.
- Oversee the billing team, including contracted partners. Provide leadership and ensure staff productivity and adherence to quality standards.
- Establish billing policies, procedures, and workflows to ensure accurate and timely submission of claims.
- Work in close collaboration with the customer experience team to ensure a cohesive service offering to clinicians and patients.
- Lead cross-functional collaboration to optimize the end-to-end revenue cycle process, from patient registration to claim submission and payment posting.
- Develop and track billing specific KPIs.
- Prepare and present regular reports on billing performance, areas for cost optimization, and revenue enhancement opportunities to senior management.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive knowledge of insurance contracts, reimbursement policies, and coding guidelines in close collaboration with Market Access Team
- Ensure compliance with billing and reimbursement regulations, including accurate coding, documentation, and billing practices.
- Collaborate with Product& Technology and billing system vendors to implement and optimize billing software and workflows.
- Leverage technology to automate billing processes, enhance accuracy, and improve efficiency.
- 10 + years of people management / leadership experience in the healthcare industry.
- Bachelor's degree in healthcare administration, finance, or a related field. A master's degree is preferred.
- Comfortable hiring and building out teams.
- Several years of experience in medical billing, revenue cycle management, or a similar role, preferably in genetics testing laboratory or healthcare setting.
- In-depth knowledge of healthcare billing regulations, coding systems (such as CPT, ICD-10), and reimbursement methodologies.
- Familiarity with laboratory-specific billing requirements, including genetic testing codes and insurance coverage policies.
- Strong understanding of compliance and privacy regulations, including HIPAA and data protection laws.
- Experience with billing and practice management systems, electronic health records (EHR), and revenue cycle management software.
- Familiarity with managing external vendors considered an asset.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to manage and motivate a team effectively.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, with attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and people skills to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to adapt to changing regulatory requirements and evolving industry trends.
Science - Minded, Patient - Focused.
At GeneDx, we create, follow, and are informed by cutting-edge science. With over 20 years of expertise in diagnosing rare disorders and diseases, and pioneering work in the identification of new disease-causing genes, our commitment to genetic disease detection, discovery, and diagnosis is based on sound science and is focused on enhancing patient care.
Experts in what matters most.
With hundreds of genetic counselors, MD/PhD scientists, and clinical and molecular genomics specialists on staff, we are the industry’s genetic testing experts and proud of it. We share the same goal as healthcare providers, patients, and families: to provide clear, accurate, and meaningful answers we all can trust.
SEQUENCING HAS THE POWER TO SOLVE DIAGNOSTIC CHALLENGES.
From sequencing to reporting and beyond, our technical and clinical experts are providing guidance every step of the way:
- High-quality testing: Our laboratory is CLIA certified and CAP accredited and most of our tests are also New York State approved.
- Advanced detection: By interrogating genes for complex variants, we can identify the underlying causes of conditions that may otherwise be missed.
- Thorough analysis: We classify variants according to our custom adaptation of the most recent guidelines. We then leverage our rich internal database for additional interpretation evidence.
- Customized care: Our experts review all test results and write reports in a clear, concise, and personalized way. We also include information for research studies in specific clinical situations.
- Impactful discovery: Our researchers continue working to find answers even after testing is complete. Through both internal research efforts and global collaborations, we have identified and published hundreds of new disease-gene relationships and developed novel tools for genomic data analysis. These efforts ultimately deliver more diagnostic findings to individuals.
Learn more About Us here.
Essential on-site and customer facing employees may be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccinations. Such employees may request exemptions for medical conditions or religious beliefs.
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Health, Dental, Vision and Life insurance
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Discounts
- Voluntary benefits
GeneDx is an Equal Opportunity Employer.