Tech Lead, Software Engineering
At Wisetack, we’re building financially responsible consumer lending products that help service-based businesses thrive.
Wisetack is a well-funded growing startup founded in 2018 with a leadership team that comes from Lending Club, Affirm, Varo Money and other top FinTech companies. We’re backed by leading VCs, including Insight Partners, Greylock, and Bain Capital Ventures, (investors in Airbnb, LinkedIn, Instagram, Dropbox, and many more).
We raised a $45M Series B and have invested in our people and technology while growing our partnerships. We grew 10x in 2021, and exceeded the goal of growing 4x in 2022. This is a fun stage in any company's lifecycle where we've got the core foundation built, a healthy growth rate, and a clear path to success, but you'd still be joining early enough to help shape the future of the company.
Most recently, we were recognized as the Best Consumer Lending Solution by Finovate Awards and have been selected by LendIt as a 2022 winner in the Best Emerging Lending Platform category for their Fintech Industry Awards. The external recognition is great, but we're equally — if not more — happy with the recognition from our customers. Our current NPS rating is a sky-high 78 (industry average hovers around the 40s or 50s, depending on who you ask). We're proud that we're building a product that customers love as well as being recognized as a Great Place to Work by our team members.
Our Engineering Team Principles
Everyone is an engineer. No matter what their title is, everyone contributes to the code. Everyone delivers.
Initiative and ownership. We want every team member to lead the work they do. Design the best solutions and implement them. Ask for help from others when you need it.
One team. We are low ego and support each other.
Learning and growth. We believe growth is a huge motivator. We want everyone on the team to have an opportunity to learn and grow in their career. If you are smart and want to learn, you should be with us even if you don't have all the skills we need at the moment.
Check out this post from our blog where we go into more detail about these principles.
Wisetack is looking for a Tech Lead to be an early foundational member of our growing engineering department as a highly-impactful individual contributor (IC). You will be focused on technical concerns first and foremost; this is not a hybrid management/IC role. You will be a peer leader for your team, a force multiplier who sets examples of good code, best practices, and helps other ICs contribute to their full potential.
- Write good code. You will implement new features, troubleshoot and fix bugs, and set an example for your teammates in how you do so.
- Keep in mind a bigger picture than just your own work. Maintain awareness of the work being conducted by the rest of your team, as well as other teams. Drive architectural discussions that ensure all the pieces fit together properly.
- Take ownership. You will keep an eye out for tech debt, buggy edge cases, and other pain points; bring them to the attention of your team, and help establish and prioritize a path to reducing or eliminating them.
- Work efficiently and improve efficiency. We select good tools, integrate them, and build automation to expedite our own work and get better quality at lower cost. You will need to think and work this way too.
- Collaborate and communicate. You will work closely with your hands-on Engineering Manager and your Product Manager, providing the deeply-technical perspective needed for projects to succeed.
- And, most importantly, care about the business and move it forward. We will win together. The company is very transparent, so you will be engaged and connected to our business goals.
- Understanding of web applications and RESTful APIs; ideally from a full-stack perspective, but a backend-centric understanding is acceptable.
- Java, React, and/or AWS cloud-native services (DynamoDB, Lambda, SNS/SQS, etc) – you don't need to be an expert in all 3 of these, but an ideal candidate will have strong experience with at least 2 (or with similar technologies)
- Learning and problem solving
- Communication, collaboration, analysis, and architecture
- Fintech experience is a plus
The range of base salary for the position is between $170,800 - 239,100, plus equity, and benefits. Please note that the base salary range is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level and competencies.
Spend a little time on our About Us page researching our team and our values, and check out our Press page and our blog for more background on what we do. If you think this might be a fit, we’d love to hear from you!
Something looks off?