PRN Optical Technician - Lawton, OK
ABOUT THE JOB
Our technicians are responsible for assisting the doctor and optician in providing care to patients, taking patient medical histories, performing basic eye exams and tests, answering questions about medications, eyeglasses, and contact lenses, helping with in-office procedures, using diagnostic instruments, and sending prescriptions to pharmacies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interpretation of prescriptions written by optometrists
- Educate patients on their corrective lens options and help them make a choice that fits their medical needs as well as lifestyle preferences
- Collection of eye measurements including visual acuity, autorefraction, intraocular pressure readings, fundus photography, etc.
- Review and collect patient histories
- Clearly and effectively communicate patient results and/or concerns to the doctor
- Manage the clinical schedule to ensure optimized patient care
- Keeping track of orders, prescriptions, and inventory
- Manage relationships with vendors
- Schedule appointments and interpret an electronic health record
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of 2 years’ experience dispensing corrective lenses or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certified as Dispensing Optician required. American Board of Opticianry (ABO) and National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) certification preferred. Experience with both contact lenses and glasses. Ability to operate lensometer and other equipment.
- Excellent customer service skills required
- Proficiency with interpersonal and interprofessional communication
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Time management abilities
- Ability to stay calm and upbeat in a fast-paced environment
- Compassionate/patient demeanor
- Ability to maintain tact and diplomacy in a stressful environment
- A willingness to learn and adapt
Pay Range: $17.00-$22.00/hr
The actual offer may vary dependent upon geographic location and the candidate’s years of experience and/or skill level.