Software Engineer, Backend
We Breathe Life Into Data
At Komodo Health, our mission is to reduce the global burden of disease. And we believe that smarter use of data is essential to this mission. That’s why we built the Healthcare Map — the industry’s largest, most complete, precise view of the U.S. healthcare system — by combining de-identified, real-world patient data with innovative algorithms and decades of clinical experience. The Healthcare Map serves as our foundation for a powerful suite of software applications, helping us answer healthcare’s most complex questions for our partners. Across the healthcare ecosystem, we’re helping our clients unlock critical insights to track detailed patient behaviors and treatment patterns, identify gaps in care, address unmet patient needs, and reduce the global burden of disease.
As we pursue these goals, it remains essential to us that we stay grounded in our values: be awesome, seek growth, deliver “wow,” and enjoy the ride. At Komodo, you will be joining a team of ambitious, supportive Dragons with diverse backgrounds but a shared passion to deliver on our mission to reduce the burden of disease — and enjoy the journey along the way.
The Opportunity at Komodo Health
Komodo aims to build the most accessible, actionable collection of healthcare data in the industry. Our diverse clients have a range of familiarity with healthcare technicalities and we strive to provide products designed to be simple enough for a layperson while also allowing power users to explore our data with all the depth and sophistication they require.
As a Software Engineer on Komodo Health’s Platform Analytics team, you will be focusing on our internal service layer used to serve a variety of axes - patients, payers, providers, etc. You will enable complex queries supported through backend APIs, adhere to SLAs, and the underlying caching necessary to support multiple access patterns.
By exposing the power of Komodo’s data directly to consumers, and leveraging innovative caching techniques to create drillable, pivotable visualizations, you will help create a state-of-the-art interactive experience for internal and external users alike.
Looking back on your first 12 months at Komodo Health, you will have…
- Expanded or enhanced the Platform Analytic APIs
- Designed and optimized caching strategies (including, perhaps, inclusion of new data storage mediums/platforms) for processing cohort outputs and running analytics
- Recommended and implemented additional pre-calculation and caching strategies as needed to ensure that SLAs are met
- Promoted API versioning best practices and open API standards in development
- Leveraged relevant AWS services (API gateway, lambdas, among others), updating as needed to take advantage of new beneficial features in support of the API
- Partnered with product managers to understand the variety of internal and external analytic specification needs across a diverse set of use cases
- Ensured non-functional requirements are met, such as around developer experience and maintainability
- Managed technical dependencies between different microservices to ensure smooth operations
- Set a high technical standard overall and be a mentoring resource for others on the team and in the larger organization
What you bring to Komodo:
- Significant experience designing APIs for use in web application development (synchronous vs asynchronous response patterns, caching strategies, graphql, etc)
- Significant experience optimizing data retrieval processes supporting API output, as above, ideally within a low query volume / high data volume environment.
- Demonstrably deep experience with Python
- Demonstrably deep experience with relevant ‘big data’ processing either via Spark or through a modern MPP database like Snowflake, ideally with experience in both
- Experience with separate caching/cache invalidation strategies, particularly tiered strategies for highly variable unit volumes of data
- Experience with multiple relevant data storage platforms, and the ability to understand the benefits of drawbacks of each for specific types of read patterns (‘data lakes’ like S3/Hive-based systems, RDBMS, MPP platforms, KV/doc stores, etc)
- Understand and design for non-functional concerns such as performance, cost optimization, maintainability and developer experience.
- Strong communication with engineers, product managers, and salespeople.
Compensation at Komodo Health
The pay range for each job posting reflects a minimum and maximum range of pay across all U.S. locations and may span more than one career level. We carefully consider multiple factors when determining compensation, including job-related skills, work experience, geographic work location, relevant training and certifications, business needs and market demands.
Where You’ll Work
Komodo Health has a hybrid work model; we recognize the power of choice and importance of flexibility for the well-being of both our company and our individual Dragons. Roles may be completely remote based anywhere in the country listed, remote but based in a specific region, or local (commuting distance) to one of our hubs in San Francisco, New York City, or Chicago with remote work options.
What We Offer
On top of our commitment to providing competitive, fair pay for all roles at Komodo Health, we’re proud to offer robust and inclusive benefits to all Dragons at Komodo Health. We offer global time off programs, extensive internal and external career development and learning opportunities, and multiple affinity groups celebrating our team’s diversity.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Komodo Health provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.