Staff Frontend Engineer, Web Platform
- TIME 100 Most Influential Companies (2023)
- CNBC Disruptor 50 List (2022, 2023)
- Fast Company Most Innovative Companies (2020, 2023)
- Built In Best Places to Work (2023)
- Fortune Best Workplaces NY (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023)
- Great Place to Work certified (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023)
- Fast Company Best Workplaces for Innovators (2022)
- Built In LGBTQIA+ Advocacy Award (2022)
About the role
The Web Platform team’s mission is to deliver and support a robust web platform at scale. We empower software engineers at Maven Clinic to deliver product features with high velocity and quality by providing foundational libraries, frameworks, and tools for development, testing, and release. Our engineers shape the architecture of web codebases to ensure the health and stability of Maven’s applications. With a focus on web-specific technologies and integrations, the Web Platform team serves as a nexus between product engineers and platform teams.
Key areas the Web Platform team owns include testing frameworks, developer environments, bundler and build system implementations, design system infrastructure, CI/CD jobs, and client libraries for observability and experimentation. Projects on this team directly impact the productivity and experience of Maven Clinic developers working on web code.
- Drive impact across client, server, architecture, and infrastructure that powers all of our web products - Maven Clinic web app and web-based internal tooling.
- Design and implement features to improve web performance, security, stability, and operational excellence.
- Enable high velocity product delivery with quality and operational excellence. This includes monorepo and CI/CD improvements as well as shipping libraries, middleware, frameworks, and abstractions to materially accelerate our web engineers.
- Lead platform-level projects, executing in all phases of software development from architecture/design through implementation, testing, and launch.
- Partner with product teams to understand their pain points, pilot proposed solutions, and encourage adoption of middleware, tools, and frameworks.
- Set a high standard for code quality, advocating for best practices in testing, performance, and accessibility, and improving code review processes. You’ll do this by being an active code reviewer, pair programming and other collaborative activities to ensure code quality and knowledge sharing.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of industry experience in software engineering, including frontend web development.
- Strong knowledge of web accessibility, with understanding of screenreaders, WCAG guidelines, and keyboard navigation.
- Deep understanding of bundlers, testing frameworks, editor integrations, frontend build/CI systems, observability tooling, and developer environments.
- Expert in web performance optimization best practices.
- Experience working in a monorepo environment and understand its benefits and costs.
- Experience working with Design Systems and UI component libraries.
- Have a track record of successfully leading projects and delivering large scope technical projects at scale.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, with a proven ability to deliver high-quality code in a fast-paced environment.
- Superb collaboration and communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to work effectively with cross functional teams such as SREs, Design, Product Teams, and QA and mentor other engineers.
At Maven we believe that a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences enrich our teams and allow us to achieve above and beyond our goals. If you do not have experience in all of the areas detailed above, we hope that you will share your unique background with us in your application and how it can be additive to our teams.
Benefits & Perks:
We are reimagining what a supportive workplace looks like, from the inside out. On top of standards such as employer-covered health, dental, and insurance plan options, and generous PTO, we offer an all-of-you, inclusive approach to benefits:
- Maven for Mavens: access to the full platform and specialists, including care for everything from mental health, reproductive health, family planning, pediatrics.
- Whole-self care through wellness partnerships
- Weekly breakfast, lunch, and get-togethers
- 16 weeks 100% paid parental leave, flexible time upon return, and $1.5K/mo for 2 months, new parent stipend (for Mavens who've been with us at least six months)
- Udemy, annual professional development stipend, and access to a personal career coach through Maven
- 401K matching for US-based employees (immediately vesting)
These benefits are applicable to Maven Clinic Co., US-based, full-time employees only. 1099/Contract Providers are ineligible for these benefits.