Director of Legal
Noom is a leading global digital health company focused on helping people live healthier lives through behavior change. We’re a mission-driven, high-growth organization that’s powered by science, technology, and world-class talent.
Noom is looking for a Director of Legal to join our lean but growing legal team. You’ll be an early, foundational member of our legal team, with a focus for litigation and employment matters. You will be supporting Noom in a wide range of litigation matters, as well as have the opportunity to be involved in / exposed to other legal matters, including (but not limited to) employment, marketing, product counseling, regulatory, and more. You will be joining a fun, fast-paced, collaborative legal team working together on a wide array of legal issues.
This is a special opportunity at a special company — we’re doing exciting things, and we’re just getting started! Noom is quirky, fast-paced, and positive; we care about our employees and our users, and we put our all into our mission of helping people lead healthier lives. We are always looking for people who are smart, curious, humble, and collaborative as we grow. If this sounds like you, reach out!
What you’ll be doing:
- Manage and oversee the company’s legal disputes and litigation needs/matters, including providing legal advice and representation in court and other legal forums
- Conduct legal research, draft pleadings, motions, and other legal documents, and handle discovery and e-discovery requests
- Develop and drive Noom’s litigation strategy and risk management plans in coordination with the company’s business teams and leaders
- Serve as a lead advisor for different pillars of business across Noom, helping build scalable and effective processes for legal review as business grows
- Partner cross-functionally to identify and evaluate business and legal risks and find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals and pursuing opportunities to scale
- Counsel the business to minimize litigation and regulatory risk and exposure
- Oversee and partner with outside counsel in litigation matters as needed
- Provide legal advice and guidance on a wide range of legal issues, including but not limited to contract disputes, employment law, intellectual property, and regulatory compliance
- Remain up-to-date on legal developments and trends that may impact the company’s litigation strategy or risk exposure
- Develop strategies and processes to scale legal support as our business grows
- 7+ years of legal/litigation experience, including experience at a top tier law firm as well as in-house experience
- Experience in different categories of litigation (employment experience is a bonus!)
- JD from accredited U.S. law school; licensed in good standing with a state bar
- Demonstrated experience partnering with and providing timely support to in-house business clients
- Exceptional analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Strong business acumen with a creative approach to problem-solving
- Experience developing creative solutions to navigate complex legal issues to both protect the company and drive Noom’s business forward
- Has the ability to prioritize and manage multiple matters simultaneously in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, rapidly scaling environment
- Creative thinker who is comfortable with change and ambiguity, and is able to bring a first principles approach to building scalable processes
- Able to manage stakeholder requests and expectations, and balance the requirements of internal teams, compliance needs, and external stakeholders
- Able to communicate clearly and productively with non-legal stakeholders
What Makes This Job Amazing:
- You’ll be helping millions of people lead healthier lives every day
- You’ll experience huge learning & professional growth opportunities. Noom believes in supporting you; we’ll cover the cost of books, courses, conferences… you name it!
- You’ll become part of our transparent, high-performing, and close-knit team
- We guarantee you will learn a tremendous amount in a short time. For those who value and excel in transparent, high-intensity, and high-impact environments, there is significant opportunity for advancement.
- The US base salary range for this full-time position is $253,000 - $343,000.
- Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting is based on Noom’s estimate as of the date of publication and reflects the minimum and maximum target for the position across all US locations. The actual placement of the candidate within the range is based on factors including but not limited to relevant experience, assessment of functional skills and behavioral competencies, scope, and location. This range is not inclusive of any discretionary bonus or equity package.
Other Elements of the Rewards Package:
- Noom currently offers a comprehensive and generous total rewards package. This package generally includes discretionary performance-based bonus, stock awards, healthcare & retirement benefits, paid holidays, paid time off, disability benefits and various wellness programs, etc.
- By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following:
- In-office Location: New York, NY, USA
- Remote location(s): United States.
- Your recruiter can share more about the specific compensation package for your preferred location during the hiring process
More About Noom:
At Noom, we believe that the individual is the greatest force for good, not just in their health but in unlocking their fullest potential. We apply the same principles inside Noom. Across our dynamic organization, we empower our teams to execute on big ideas and we start and end each day with responsibility to make the world a healthier place. Fortune, Inc., Glassdoor, and Crain’s have all named Noom a Best Place to Work including being named on Fortune’s lists for Best Workplaces in New York, Best Workplaces in Technology, Best Workplaces for Women, and Best Workplaces for Millennials.
Noom is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, caste, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Noom is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodation, please email email@example.com.
To help protect against potential hiring scams, please be aware that all email communications from the Noom Talent team and/or hiring managers will come only from an @noom.com email address. Our assessment process includes multiple phone and/or video interview rounds, and we will never ask you for personal payment, require you to purchase equipment, or extend a job offer without the completion of this interview process. If you are unsure about the validity of a Noom job posting on another website, we strongly encourage you to instead apply directly through our website.
Something looks off?