Precision for Medicine
The Principal Scientist will be instrumental in helping Precision achieve its goals of delivering exceptional services to Precision’s diverse, innovative and global biopharmaceutical clients. Working closely with the Associate Director of Molecular Science, the Principal Scientist will help implement strategic scientific plans in support of translational medicine research, primarily, but not solely, in the Immuno-Oncology and autoimmune/inflammatory space. Key components will be focused on, design and development of innovative qualified and validated molecular assays including, but not limited to, ddPCR, qPCR, Next Gen Sequencing, Nanostring, and FISH assays.
The successful candidate will assist and be a resource for scientist team members to design experimental plans and timelines, that match client specifications/requirements. He/She should be able to communicate the plan and progress to the client, along with executing and reporting the work according to agreed timelines and under the appropriate regulations (GLP, CAP, CLIA etc.). A significant aspect of this job is the training and mentoring of more junior scientists and team members in bioservices both in laboratory techniques and in the analysis and presentation of data. The role will provide technical expertise to the laboratory as needed, as well as the expectation is that a large part of training is provided “hands on”.
The Principal Scientist may assume additional responsibilities if he/she is designated as General Supervisor or Technical Supervisor in the subspecialty area of service by CLIA/CAP laboratory director.
Essential functions of the job include but are not limited to:
- Design, implement, and troubleshoot molecular assays to meet client requirements
- Write and implement standard operating procedures (SOPs) to perform assays to meet client requirements and the level of regulatory compliance needed
- Generate technical reports and other communications required to present data to clients
- Write posters and papers for submission to conference organizers and peer reviewed journals
- On occasion, review and edit client proposals, contract/proposals as appropriate.
- Train and mentor scientific staff in the review and presentation of data; including client reports, posters and papers for peer reviewed journals
- Train and mentor technical staff on how to perform laboratory procedures. Devise and perform training and competency assessments to ensure staff are capable to perform tasks independently.
- Maintain and support safe lab practices and environment
- Track and trend laboratory efficiency and quality
- Perform duties with high degree of independence, quality, and efficiency
- Act as internal expert on technical advances and industry trends to anticipate and act as a thought leader to management on all matters of major importance, initiate and/or recommend appropriate courses of action and identify those matters requiring policy interpretation or revision
- Promote the company to local, regional, national, and international constituencies through networking, speaking engagements, activity in professional associations and publications
- Must have a Ph.D. in life sciences or relevant field (e.g. Molecular Biology)
- At least 8 years of full-time post-doctoral laboratory experience
- Strong bench scientist skills around molecular assays. Hands on sequencing, ddPCR, and qPCR experience is required.
- Experience in validation/qualification of assays to CAP/CLIA/GLP or ISO guidelines
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Experienced technical report generation
- The ability to see and differentiate between colors on the full color spectrum
- Ability to lift and carry between 1-15 lbs.; Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. overhead with assistance; frequently required to sit, grasp, and use right/left finger dexterity; May be exposed to a cold freezer environment (Freezer temperatures range between -20ºC -196ºC)
- Must be able to read, write, speak fluently and comprehend the English language
- 10-15+ years’ experience as a laboratorian with leadership role as direct manager to molecular.
- Experience supervising or mentoring scientists or technical personnel
- Industrial experience and/or management of outside collaborations is desirable
- A solid understanding of current GxP or CAP/CLIA/ISO standards
- Previous work experience in GLP or GCLP or CLIA regulatory compliance
Precision Medicine Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. © 2020 Precision Medicine Group, LLC