Principal Scientist - Molecular
Precision for Medicine
The Principal Scientist will be instrumental in helping Precision achieve its goals of delivering exceptional services to Precision’s diverse, innovative, and global biopharmaceutical clients. Working closely with the assigned manager, the Principal Scientist will help support key scientific projects ensuring best practices are implemented to support timely delivery of client projects. Key components will be focused on the design and development of innovative qualified and validated molecular assays including, but not limited to, ddPCR, qPCR, Next Gen Sequencing, Nanostring, and FISH assays.
The successful candidate will assist and be a resource for scientist team members to design experimental plans and timelines, that match client specifications/requirements. The candidate should be able to communicate project plans and progress to the client, along with executing and reporting the work according to agreed timelines and under the appropriate regulations (GLP, CAP, CLIA etc.). A significant aspect of this role is the training and mentoring of junior scientists and team members in both laboratory techniques and in the analysis and presentation of data. This role will provide technical expertise to the laboratory and perform “hands on” experiments as needed for training and mentoring purposes.
Essential functions of the job include but are not limited to:
- Designs, implements, and troubleshoots molecular assays with the scientific team to meet client requirements
- Oversees the scientists writing and implementing standard operating procedures (SOPs) to perform assays to meet client requirements and the level of regulatory compliance needed
- Oversees the generation of technical reports and other communications required to present data to clients
- Helps support the generation of posters and papers for submission to conference organizers and peer reviewed journals when applicable and approved by senior management
- Reviews and edit client proposals, contract/proposals as needed
- Trains and mentors scientific staff in the review and presentation of client data; supports client calls as the leading expert for the team
- Trains and mentors technical staff on how to perform laboratory procedures. Devises and performs training and competency assessments to ensure staff can perform tasks independently
- Maintains and supports safe lab practices and environment
- Tracks and trends laboratory efficiency and quality
- Performs duties with a high degree of independence, quality, and efficiency
- Acts as internal expert on technical advances to anticipate and act as a thought leader to management on all matters related to their scope of work.
- Initiates and/or recommends appropriate courses of action and identifies matters requiring policy interpretation or revision
- Ensures scope of work and change orders are followed by technical team, and minimizes scope creep
- Helps support the scheduling of work with the team, to ensure financial targets are being met by the lab staff
- Must have a Ph.D. in life sciences or relevant field (e.g. Molecular Biology)
- At least 8 years related full-time laboratory experience
- Strong bench scientist skills around molecular assays. Hands on sequencing, ddPCR, and qPCR experience is required.
- Experience in validation/qualification of assays to CAP/CLIA/GLP or ISO guidelines
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong communication skills
- Experienced technical report generation
- The ability to see and differentiate between colors on the full color spectrum
- Ability to lift and carry between 1-15 lbs.; Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. overhead with assistance; frequently required to sit, grasp, and use right/left finger dexterity; May be exposed to a cold freezer environment (Freezer temperatures range between -20ºC -196ºC)
- Must be able to read, write, speak fluently, and comprehend the English language
- 10-15+ years’ experience as a molecular laboratorian in a leadership role with direct reports
- Experience supervising or mentoring scientists or technical personnel
- Industrial experience and/or management of outside collaborations is desirable
- A solid understanding of current GxP or CAP/CLIA/ISO standards
- Previous work experience in GLP or GCLP or CLIA regulatory compliance
Precision Medicine Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. © 2020 Precision Medicine Group, LLC
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Precision Medicine Group at QuestionForHR@precisionmedicinegrp.com.