Clinical Documentation Educator - Remote
Join VillageMD as a Clinical Documentation Educator (REMOTE)
At VillageMD, we're looking for a Clinical Documentation Educator to help us transform the way primary care is delivered and how patients are served. As a national leader on the forefront of healthcare, we've partnered with many of today's best Primary Care Physicians and Advanced Practice Providers. We're equipping them with the latest digital tools. Empowering them with proven strategies and support. Inspiring them with better practices and consistent results.
We're creating care that's more accessible. Effective. Efficient. With solutions that are value-based, physician-driven and patient-centered. To accomplish this, we're looking for individuals who share our sense of excellence, are ready to embrace change, and never settle for the status quo. Individuals who have the confidence to lead but the humility to never stop learning.
OUR CULTURE AND VALUES
VillageMD is a group of collaborative, entrepreneurial and smart people who are united in our goal to improve primary care, making a difference in people's lives.
Get Stuff Done: We roll-up our sleeves and dive into the details, tackling the work at hand with infectious enthusiasm. We’re highly accountable for our work and the value we add, inspiring others with our constant ability to deliver results. No challenge is too small or too big.
Build Trust: We are humbled by those we serve and the importance of our vision. We invest in relationships with open and honest conversation seeking personal connections. We show respect for others in our words and actions. We do what we say we are going to do. We are knowledgeable, but always take the time to listen and learn.
Innovate: Our curiosity is endless, and challenging the status quo is a priority. New approaches are rewarded and we are always seeking to improve. We know that changing healthcare is hard, and we embrace the challenge.
COULD THIS BE YOU
As a Clinical Documentation Educator, you will be accountable for ensuring providers are documenting and coding conditions in accordance to the VMD standard. The goal of the role will be to oversee provider education and subsequently improve documentation accuracy across HCC coding.
The Clinical Documentation and Coding Accuracy Educator will review performance metrics and reports, as well as patient charts, to identify areas of opportunity to support coding accuracy and effective documentation practices. He/she will educate all primary care providers, physicians and advanced practice practitioners, and other clinical staff on a process for improving coding accuracy performance, proper documentation and general coding practices.
How You Will Get Things Done:
- Conduct individual training and group education sessions on proper coding and documentation practices for physicians and staff consistent with industry standards and in compliance with coding guidelines
- Provide new coder onboarding education and support
- Review charts and query provider to address documentation reassessment opportunities and to prompt higher accuracy and/or specificity
- Conduct post-encounter review sessions with providers either in person or virtual
- Focused efforts for other identified performance outliers
- Coach, facilitate, solve work problems and participate in the work of the team
- Ensure compliance with established coding guidelines, third party reimbursement policies, regulations and accreditation guidelines
- Work with market to understand what payor audit/documentation requests require compliance review
- Direct and timely provider remediation response to compliance audit plan results
How You Will Build Trust:
- Effectively communicate and implement new coding education and initiatives with providers, including the appropriate change management support to ensure successful adoption
- Host market level “coding office hours”
- Collaborate with local market risk operations leader to complete provider education activities including 1:1 education, clinic education and all supporting provider education activities
- Collaborate with clinical stakeholders to continually develop new and maintain existing educational resources and internal guidelines
- Demonstrate the ability to appropriately use coding principles that comply with CMS regulations and company goals and policies
How You Will Innovate:
- Identify opportunities for improving coding accuracy through chart review and report review
- Special review projects as assigned for analytics
- Participate as needed on process improvement, operational development and concept validation teams to share best practices and assist in the creation of best-in-class coding tools to support VillageMD risk adjustment accuracy
EXPERIENCE TO DRIVE CHANGE
- High School Diploma or Equivalent required
- Professional Coding Certification such as CRC, CCS, CPS required
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in advanced professional coding
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in coding training and/or education
- Experience in a large, independent clinic organization or the ambulatory environment of a hospital or integrated delivery system (Primary Care Practice highly preferred)
- Familiarity with Electronic Health Records documentation methodologies
- Demonstrated achievement with change management and quality improvement initiatives
- Proven success in building relationships and establishing credibility with doctors, nurses and other clinical staff
- Exceptional communication skills
- High level of emotional intelligence
- Ability to navigate resistance to change and solve problems effectively
- Ability to travel across assigned market(s) or region(s): 30%
HOW YOU WILL THRIVE
To help our employees be their best at home and at work, we’re pleased to invest in benefit programs that support their total well-being.
- Physical Well-Being: Comprehensive health plans include medical and prescription, virtual care, dental, and vision benefits
- Mental & Emotional Well-Being: Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Talkspace and access to other premiere mental health tools and applications, bereavement support
- Career: Learning and development, clinician expense reimbursement and continuing medical education allowance
- Personal and Time Off: Paid time off, paid holidays, volunteer time off, parental leave
- Financial Well-Being: 401(k) with match, HSA, FSAs, commuter accounts, team member discounts, life, AD&D and disability, financial & legal consultations
Our unique Village Medical culture – how inclusion and diversity make the difference.
We believe building trust, acceptance and respect is rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way. Employment candidates are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For Colorado Residents only: The base compensation range for this role is $62,000 to $77,000. At VillageMD, compensation is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, location, etc. This role may be eligible for annual/quarterly bonus incentives (if applicable), and the selected candidate will be eligible for a valuable company benefits plan, including health insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, and access to a 401k plan with company match.
Explore your future with VillageMD as a Clinical Documentation Educator today!