Registered Nurse Care Manager
Join VillageMD as a Registered Nurse Care Manager in Houston, TX
Join the frontlines of today's healthcare transformation
At VillageMD, we're looking for a Registered Nurse Care Manager to help us transform the way primary care is delivered and how patients are served. As a national leader on the forefront of healthcare, we've partnered with many of today's best primary care physicians. We're equipping them with the latest digital tools. Empowering them with proven strategies and support. Inspiring them with better practices and consistent results.
We're creating care that's more accessible. Effective. Efficient. With solutions that are value-based, physician-driven and patient-centered. To accomplish this, we're looking for individuals who share our
sense of excellence, are ready to embrace change, and never settle for the status quo. Individuals who have the confidence to lead but the humility to never stop learning.
Could this be you?
As an extension of the primary care physician’s (PCP) care team, RN Care Managers partner with a diverse population of patients, primarily meeting with patients in one or more settings such as, in a clinic, home, facility, or other community settings. Face-to-face engagement with patients ensures our patients have an optimal care experience and maintain connection to their primary care provider. RN Care Managers collaborate with PCPs, hospitalists, multidisciplinary Care Management team members and community agencies/services with the overall goal of improving health outcomes and reducing avoidable utilization for complex and high-risk patients. RN Care Managers provide wholistic assessments including the physical, mental, social, and spiritual needs of patients with complex medical conditions. Through shared decision making, RN Care Managers develop patient-centered care plans with both episodic and longitudinal interventions. These collaborative relationships assist in mitigating barriers to health, decrease unnecessary healthcare spend/cost, and reduce future utilization events.
How you can make a difference
• Engage patients and their support systems at the point of care, assessing health and risk status and establishing patient centered care plans
• Provide early intervention related to condition/lifestyle management, medication adherence and address any unmet social determinants of health (SDOH) needs
• Collaborate with inpatient care team, hospitalist/SNFist to ensure patient is receiving well coordinated care and potential risk factors are mitigated prior to discharge, reducing the risk of readmission
• Promote advance care planning and navigate patient through process to outline their healthcare wishes
• Coordinate with inpatient and outpatient multi-disciplinary care teams to ensure a safe transition of care, including scheduling of timely PCP post-discharge follow up appointments and referrals to social work
• Maintain consistent communication with the PCP related to patients admission, discharge and outpatient status
• Serve as a patient advocate and point of contact to ensure continuity of care
• Monitor patients as they transition from facilities to home, completing post-discharge follow up, medication reconciliation, reducing patients overall risk of readmission
• Able to perform and report clinical information of medically complex patients during multidisciplinary clinical rounds
• Actively engage and collaborate with PCP’s and office staff in identifying high-riskpatients
• Maintain a core understanding of population health and the clinical management of at-risk patients
• Employ motivational interviewing skills to elicit optimal patient engagement/outcomes
• Perform comprehensive assessments identifying risk factors and addressing barriers to care such as medication adherence, SDOH factors and health literacy.
• Able to develop self-management action plans with patients
• Partner with VMD Pharmacy, Social Work and payer partners to develop focused interventional programs for patients with chronic conditions or complex social or behavioral needs
• Identify and address gaps in care across empaneled population
• Leveraging a deep understanding of chronic disease pathophysiology and coincident symptoms/comorbidities, coach patients & caregivers on health conditions, self-management techniques and develop escalation plans in the event of a decompensation
• Complete timely documentation of clinical interventions in applicable care management and EMR systems
• Develop and maintain effective professional working relationships with assigned PCPpractice(s) and hospital systems
• Engage patients in a variety of settings, determined by program models and initiatives
• Facilitate positive patient interactions designed to support all care management functions
• Serve as a preceptor for onboarding care management team members
Skills for success
• Strong Motivational Interviewing and rapport building skills
• A passion for changing the way healthcare is delivered and experienced for complex and/or disadvantaged patients and communities
• Ability to quickly build trusting relationships by following through on commitments
• Agile, solution focused, problem solving experience
• Thrive in a fast-paced environment and can manage competing priorities
• A desire for continuous learning that is aligned to updated clinical protocols and best practice recommendations
• Strong time management and organizational skills with a demonstrated history of timely documentation and collaboration
• The ability to adapt quickly to changing demands in the healthcare industry
• A service orientation and a “can do” attitude
• Displays Strength-Based Approach to collaborative problem solving
• The ability to receive feedback and apply it to work performance
• Demonstrates consistently, strong ethics and sound judgement
• Ability to engage diverse populations (age, ethnic groups, socio-economic levels, etc.) and provide culturally sensitive coaching, education and assistance to members and their families/caregivers
• Experience in conflict management and problem resolution
• A low ego and humility; an ability to gain trust through good communication and doing what you say you will do
Experience to drive change
• 3+ years of direct, clinical nursing experience
• Registered Nurse with an unincumbered license in the state of practice
• Care management experience in a primary care or inpatient setting preferred
• Valid driver’s license and personal transportation for community visits
• Comfort and efficiency with technology including Microsoft suite of products
• Utilizing a variety of electronic health records including data capture, data mining and reporting
How you will thrive
In addition to competitive salaries, a 401k program with company match and a valuable health benefits package, VillageMD offers paid parental leave, pre-tax savings on commuter expenses, and generous paid time off. You work in a highly-collaborative, conscientious, forward-thinking environment that welcomes your experience and enables you to make a significant impact from day 1. Most importantly, you make a difference. You see a clear connection between your daily work on VillageMD products and services and the advancement of innovative solutions and improved quality of healthcare for providers and patients.
Our unique VillageMD culture – how inclusion and diversity make the difference
At VillageMD, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Those seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Explore your future with VillageMD today.